Rambles a la Myriam

Monday, December 11, 2006

"Born Again Express" - A real bus company

Tonight I am going to see STOMP!! Can't wait - I'm so excited.

Aaaah - I am finally back in Cape Town for longer than a week - hasn't happened since September. Filling up my time with Christmas/Birthday parties, Braais, seeing friends and all the other social things you're supposed to do around Christmas time. I just can't get into the whole Christmas celebration thing yet though - not without the snow. The two seem to go hand in hand in my mind...
I just came back from another community visit to a small township called Mount Frere. And once again I was amazed by what the women can carry on their heads - it is absolutely incredible. Here's a list of things I've seen on tops of heads:
1. 25L pail FULL of water (no spilling)
2. A microwave oven
3. A roll of carpet (it was super long)
4. Groceries/Boxes/Milk crates
5. A HUGE log (like almost 1/2 a tree!!)
And most of the time they do it with babies on their backs! Way to go women!

I also got very used to being called "Mulungu" (white person) while walking down the street. You get so much attention being in a new community - especially one where the locals are not used to seeing a lot of white people, let alone foreigners. The most common thing is for people to stare, mostly kids... and men. I found it rude at first and sometimes I would stare back but I guess people are just intrigued. One volunteer from Norway said once, "everybody is staring at me, perhaps I should entertain them!" :) So she broke out in dance right in the middle of the street. I didn't have the courage to make such a scene! Although I have been teaching myself to juggle - so perhaps that could be my entertainment... I'll have to keep practicing.

Until next time - Keep fit and have fun!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:43 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Myangelyriam! Enjoy the consert! I'm so looking forward to see you again. You should probably take the garbage can of at the consert. I love you i love you i love you. Lots of love, Madeleine

     
  • At 3:20 p.m., Blogger gord and janice said…

    Hi Myr
    Can't belive you're going to see STOMP. Did I ever tell you me and Candace co-captained a "STOMP Squad" at Bedford? We even did a halftime at a Redmen B-Ball game. That was the extent of my high school sports career. On another note. I fully expect your head balancing/carrying skills to have improved by the time you come home. I expect you will have a whole host of things you can balance on your head. And I'm looking into cruises. Would you believe $650 for a whole week?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home