Rambles a la Myriam

Sunday, August 13, 2006

SCORE

I've been working at the SCORE head office for 3 weeks already with the program director, Betty Lallis, to develop a women's intervention program. I haven't done too much yet but I've managed to make initial contact with a few communities to follow up on their women's day activities. Oh yeah - they have a national Women's Day holiday (August 9th). This is year is the 50th anniversary of the march to Pretoria in 1956 so it's BIG! I've already been to 2 women's conferences. One from Beth Moore at a huge church in Cape Town and another on women's participation in sports and recreation in Jo-bug.
Anyways - I've been keeping somewhat busy taking inventory of a huge Nike donation. They gave SCORE 20+ boxes of soccer and rugby boots, and a few shorts and things. Siphokazi and I sorting through the 113 white headbands. We divided everything up into groups of 11 and then we'll send it out to communities with teams that could use all this equipment.
This is Rupert - He actually works for Cape Radio which is the office next door - but I think he likes us better. :) He hooked me up with my new flat and has been explaining the history of South Africa to me Rupert style!

And this is Leanne who I share an office with. Right now we are in Greenpoint but I think we'll be moving to a new office space more down town.

The women's conference in Johannesburg was just this past weekend. It took place in a beautiful convention centre down town and was catered with AMAZING food! My tastebuds were born for South Africa. Two of my most favourite things: mint chocolate and avocados - not together mind you - are in abundance here! Anyways, the day was full of presentations from different speakers and then we split up into 3 different commissions with the objective of discussing different issues and coming up with resolutions to pass on to the minister of sport. It was really great and I was inspired by the amazing women around me! They finished off with a fancy gala dinner with an opera singer for entertainment! Unfortunately I was unaware of the occasion and had only jeans and runners to wear!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home