Rambles a la Myriam

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hard at "work"


Well, I've left the beautiful coast in Simonstown and moved into a suburb of Cape Town called Pinelands. Sunday night I was introduced to my host family for the next two weeks. A wonderful couple named Colin & Lynda Gous and their daughter Rochelle. They've been so accomodating to me - Lynda even did my laundry! :) And they have two very friendly dogs too!
I've also had my first few days in the SCORE head office. Unfortunately there hasn't been too much for me to do as my supervisor is away until Monday but the staff are all very welcoming and I've been enjoying this chill time as I know things will pick up soon! Actually tomorrow there won't be anyone in all afternoon so i'm giving myself the afternoon off to peruse around the waterfront and scope out a more touristy area of CT. And on Friday - well, who really wants to work on Friday anyways?! (Right Fran??)
However on Saturday I've organized a meeting with a woman from Khayelitsha, a township near CT, that is working with some of the women's sports programs. So I'm hoping to get a better idea of what they're doing and how I can support them these next few months.
Also - I'm helping another girl from the office, Siphokazi, on a sports camp that we're going to run during the September school holiday, in Khayelitsha. She's estimating 400+ kids!! Wow! It will definitely be an interesting experience... So far we're just working on the proposal to get funding for the venue, equipment and such.
On a sad note - there was a shooting right across the street from my office this afternoon. Somewhat of a domestic dispute but 2 people ended up dead. Awful shame. But don't worry mom - I'm in no danger and everyone I've met has shown me extreme hospitality and is looking after me very well! :) There is defnitely a hightened awareness to be careful and not walk around alone in certain areas, but I must say that people really look after each other and there is a general feeling of concern for others. There is a South African saying, "Ubuntu", which means "You are because of me". I love the community feeling that is here.
Funny thing about Cape Town - there is a midday canon that is fired EVERY DAY at noon! How wonderful?! It gave me a little jump today while we were walking out for lunch but now that I know to expect it, I'm looking forward to my daily boom reminder that it's time to eat!

8 Comments:

  • At 4:28 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Myriam: Glad to know you are safe??? But who I am to talk, on Ave J and 1000 block, a man was shot and died later in hospital. That is only 2 blocks from our house. Just a ramdom robbery that went horribly wrong. So I'm glad God is taking care of us, even if we are half a world away. Also, it is nice to be able to slide into work and see how to fit in before being expected to go full tilt. Say hi to your host family and thank them from me for taking care of you. Will try to call you this weekend again. Lots of love and prays. Mom

     
  • At 5:54 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Myr! Isn't it amazing how God has us taken care of before we even start to worry? I'm so glad you have this little blog and I can see how you are doing. Things are going well here. I'm starting my new one day a week job tomorrow so I can kinda relate to you. I'm sure it will go fine, but I'm hiving to brush up on some of the things I learned in school that I havn't done in forever. Thanks for the pictures too. It's good to see your smiling face. Keep at 'er.

     
  • At 5:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S. Did I mention I'm quite jealous of you with the penguins?

     
  • At 11:35 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I said I'd comment once in a while, so here I am!

    Halifax has one of those noon guns too. Believe me, no matter how used to it you think you are, if you're caught near it on a day when you've lost track of time, it'll scare you good. I think it's an old British tradition. Although the gun in Halifax is right on top of the downtown, it might not be quite so close there.

    400 kids? all in one place? I hope there's more than 2 of you corralling them.

     
  • At 8:00 a.m., Blogger Samina said…

    Hey Myriam, Wow, Ocean....I miss ocean. It looks beautiful. It's hard to think that there is violence is beautiful places....I always think the ocean will just make everyone peaceful. Some weird gut reaction. I'm being a bit listless now because all the major things are finished and I'm coming towards going home. I volunteered to look after the computer centre this afternoon while the owner goes to a wedding. So far, not too many people so I've been able to have a computer for 5 hours...sounds good until you are typing minutes of a meeting for hours :) Time for a break. 2010 Sounds like a definite plan!!! Hi everyone posting for Myriam!

     
  • At 7:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Myriam;
    What an adventure you are having ! The pictures you have posted are awesome - especially the scenery one - the wonders of God's masterpiece ! Glad to hear you are safe and sound and the only guns you will hear (hopefully) are the cannons sounding out noon time !! Your life seems to be full of God planned coincidences ! It's wonderful to see & hear that you are definetly kept under His wing.
    Life goes on at HCH. Much is the same although there are a few differences as well. We have all new Department Heads in both Faith & Grace Manor (Esther is now DRC of GM). Niesha is on holidays this week. She seems to be working out well although I don't see as much of her or don't work as closely with her (..yet ?) as I did with you. She seems to be well liked by both staff & tenants / residents. Some of your emails were printed in the latest "Tie that Binds" which is hot off the press. Everyone says Hello and you are truly missed here.
    Take care of yourself and I look forward to hearing from you via your blog again soon !
    Take care Myriam,
    Lots of Love,
    Fran

     
  • At 7:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Myriam! We are missing your smile and enthusiasm here at the Olive Branch! It sounds like things are going well for you, which I am really glad about. I will keep checking in on you.

    Love and prayers,

    Nancy

     
  • At 11:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CRAZY!! But so good. I need to check up on you more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home